Thursday, January 27, 2011

" ITALIANO"



Ciao!!! 
 I heart Dean Martin, and I couldn't think of a better way to introduce my current favorite little treat.

( What about my Detox you say?  Well I actually just got my hands on that aforementioned juicer last night around 9:30 ish and I was not going to start juicing then.  I am going to make all my juices Sat. and start it Sun, like I had originally intended!)  

On to yummy, "Italiano" style treat.

Now part of eating "Leeg" is simplicity.  Preparing food in a way that really showcases the amazing, fresh flavors of the veggies.  I'm not sure if I'd call this a Brucshetta or a Crostini??  I think Brucshetta is just the charred bread and it officially becomes Crostini once it is topped.  Most traditionally, with tomatoes.  This is how I make it!

Heat 1-2 Tbls olive oil in a small pan.  Add minced garlic clove and crushed red pepper flakes.  1tsp usually adds flavor without too much heat.  So naturally I go for 2 :) let simmer until fragrant (1-2 min)

Grape tomatoes.  I especially love to use the multi colored pack.  Red, orange and yellow.  I like the grape tom's because I find them to be a little sweeter and just the perfect size.  I slice them in half length wise.  Throw in the pan.  Saute until the skins start to peel, or about 10 min.

(Last night I also added baby bellas, and the tips of a few stalks of asparagus.  This bulked it up, and added a great source of anti oxidants and other nutrients)

chop fresh parsley and fresh basil leaves creating a generous Tbls and toss with veggies

sprinkle with kosher salt and fresh ground pepper!

You could use any artisan bread that you love.  For "Leeg" I tried a whole wheat loaf.  Honestly, it has been my only disappointment in this entire switch to eating only whole foods, grains, raw ... ie: uber healthy.  It just didn't get the crunch of the regular, more traditional breads.  Now, that being said, USE IT ANYWAY!  This is "Leeg" for crying out loud!  The flavor is still there, believe me and .... Today, I wore my old Juicy track suit thing(I had an easy day and acupuncture).  Yea, the one that gives the instant JLO booty.... and it was loose.  LOOSE.  My client said my butt looked "tiny".  I said, "did you just say tiny?" and he repeated "tiny!"  Well excuse my Italian but, "santa merda!!!"  I digress, just eat the wheat!  Hey, lol that should be a little saying of ours here at "Leeg" .... "Eat the Wheat!"  ok dumb.
Where was I?  Oh yes, just toast or throw the slices in the oven and top with the veggie mixture.  It's fresh, simple and perfezionare!

I dedicate this post to my Italian sista form another mista!xoT

3 comments:

  1. Hey Tama - I knew you could speak un poco de espanol but I didn't know you could speak Italian! This song reminds me of "The Big Night." Great movie about delicious food. ANYWAY, love that your Juicy suit is loose - Leeg must be working. Keep eating the wheat! You and your Italian sista from another mista - LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL....LOVE IT! that sounds so yummy. Tomorrow night Ryan and I are going to do a movie, dinner, date night at home...Think I will have to make something yummy and Italian.xox-J

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember "The Big Night" ... you and Mike told me about that flick. You can't have pasta and a starch! lol thanks for your comments btw:)

    ReplyDelete